Terms of Service
The legal agreements when you sign up for Volument.
Last updated: September 5, 2020
When we say “Company”, “we”, “our”, or “us” in this document, we refer to Volument Inc. When we say “Service”, we mean the analytics service created by us.
We may update these terms in the future. Small changes are spelled out at the header of this document and larger changes are announced on our blog.
When you use our Service, you are agreeing to the latest version of the terms. There may be times where we do not exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service; in doing so, we are not waiving that right or provision. These terms do contain a limitation of our liability.
If you violate any of the terms, we may terminate your account.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password. The Company cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You may not use the Service for phishing, spamming, cybersquatting, or other attempts of abuse.
- You are responsible for all content and activity that occurs under your account. That includes activity by others who either: (a) have access to your login credentials; or (b) have their logins under your account.
- You must be a human. Accounts registered by “bots” or other automated methods are not permitted.
Payment, Refunds, and Plan Changes
- If you are using a free version of Volument, we do not ask you for your credit card and — just like for customers who pay for our Service — we do not sell your data.
- For the paid version, the length of the free trial is explained when you sign up. After the trial period, you need to pay in advance to keep using the Service. If you do not pay, we will freeze your account and it will be inaccessible until you make payment. If your account has been frozen for a while, we will queue it up for auto-cancellation.
- If you are upgrading from a free plan to a paid plan, we will charge your card immediately and your billing cycle starts on the day of the upgrade. For other upgrades or downgrades at the plan level, the new rate starts from the next billing cycle.
- All prices are exclusive of taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities. We collect value-added tax (VAT) from businesses inside Europe according to the rules by the taxing authorities. You are responsible for payment of all taxes, levies, or duties.
Cancellation and Termination
- You are responsible for canceling your account. You can find the cancellation action from your account, accessible from the top-right corner of this website.
- All of your content will be inaccessible immediately upon cancellation. Within 30 days, all content will be permanently deleted from active systems and logs. Within 60 days, all content will be permanently deleted from our backups. We cannot recover this information once it has been permanently deleted.
- If you cancel the Service before the end of your current paid up month, your cancellation will take effect immediately, and you will not be charged again. We do not automatically prorate unused time in the last billing cycle.
- We have the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any current or future use of our Service for any reason at any time. A suspension means you and any other users on your account will not be able to access the account or any content in the account. Termination will furthermore result in the deletion of your account or your access to your account, and the forfeiture and relinquishment of all content in your account. We also reserve the right to refuse the use of the Service to anyone for any reason at any time. We have this clause because out of the many accounts on our Service, there is at least one doing something nefarious. There are some things we staunchly stand against and this clause is how we exercise that stance.
- Verbal, physical, written or other abuse including threats of abuse or retribution of Company employee or officer will result in account termination.
Modifications to the Service and Prices
- We reserve the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any part of our Service with or without notice.
- We reserve the right to change the pricing of our product. If we do that, we tend to exempt existing customers from those changes. However, we may choose to change the prices for existing customers. If we do so, we will give at least 30 days’ notice and will notify you via the email address on record. We may also post a notice about changes on our websites.
Uptime, Security, and Privacy
- Your use of the Service is at your risk. We provide this Service on an “as is” and “as available” basis.
- We do not offer service-level agreements at the moment but do take uptime of our applications seriously.
- We reserve the right to temporarily disable your account if your usage significantly exceeds the average usage of other customers of the Service. Of course, we’ll reach out to the account owner before taking any action except in rare cases where the level of use may negatively impact the performance of the Service for other customers.
- We take many measures to protect and secure your data through backups, redundancies, and encryption. We enforce encryption for data transmission from the public Internet. There are some edge cases where we may send your data through our network unencrypted.
- When you use our Service, you entrust us with your data. You agree that Volument may process your data as described in our Data processing agreement and for no other purpose.
- We use Hetzner as the hosting partner to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Service.
- Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), we process any data you share with us only for the purpose you signed up for and as described in the data processing agreement. We do not retain, use, disclose, or sell any of that information for any other commercial purposes unless we have your explicit permission. You agree to comply with your requirements under the data processing agreement and not use Volument’s Service in a way that violates the regulations.
- We as humans can access your data for the following reasons:
- To help you with support requests you make. We’ll ask for express consent before accessing your account.
- To safeguard Volument. We’ll look at logs and metadata as part of our work to ensure the security of your data and the Service as a whole. If necessary, we may also access accounts as part of an abuse report investigation.
- To the extent required by applicable law. We only preserve or share customer data if compelled by a Finnish government authority with a legally binding order or proper request under the Stored Communications Act. If a non-Finnish authority approaches Volument for assistance, our default stance is to refuse unless the order has been approved by the Finnish government, which compels us to comply through procedures outlined in an established mutual legal assistance treaty or agreement mechanism.
Copyright and Content Ownership
- We reserve the right to remove any content that is available via the Service.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without the express written permission by the Company.
- You must not modify another website to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service or the Company.
Features and Bugs
We design our Service with care, but make no guarantees that our Service will meet your specific requirements or expectations.
We test all of our features extensively before shipping them. As with any software, our Service inevitably has some bugs. We track the bugs reported to us and work through priority ones, especially any related to security or privacy. Not all reported bugs will get fixed and we don’t guarantee completely error-free Service.
You expressly understand and agree that the Company shall not be liable, in law or in equity, to you or to any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, lost profits, special, consequential, punitive or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the Company has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the Service; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the Service; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third party on the service; (v) or any other matter relating to this Terms of Service or the Service, whether as a breach of contract, tort (including negligence whether active or passive), or any other theory of liability.
The above means that choosing to use our Service does mean you are making a bet on us. If the bet does not work out, that’s on you, not us. We do our best through careful management of the business; investments in security, infrastructure, and talent.